April 16, 2009

Firefox Bookmarks Disappearing

Since I installed the last Firefox update back in January, my bookmarks have been playing hide and seek with me. I put them where I want them, close my browser, and when I come back they are gone! I have to go find each and every one that I added and arranged on my tool bar and do it all over again. I got tired of doing it all over again, so I thought I would search for a solution. Apparently, there is a corrupt file (or 2 or 3). No one seems to know. I found these files list on a couple of sites and deleted them, replaced them, and so on and nothing worked. I decided to fix the issue myself, and I'm going to share it with you just in case you're out there searching!

  1. Open Firefox.
  2. Bookmark everything you want to and arrange your toolbar the way you want it. (You may also want to take a screen shot of your toolbars so you can make sure you put it back like it was before.)
  3. Click on Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/Import and Backup (at the top)/Backup
  4. Save the file (mine defaulted to the Desktop, just remember where it is).
  5. Close Firefox completely.
  6. Click Start/Run/copy and paste this in the run box "firefox.exe -ProfileManager" without the quotes and click Run. This will open your profile manager.
  7. Follow the steps to create a new Profile. I left mine as Default User.
  8. When finished go back and open Firefox.
  9. Everything is wiped clean. It looks like it did when you first downloaded and opened the Firefox browser.
  10. Now go to Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/Restore/Find your bookmark backup file that you saved earlier and import it. Make sure everything is arrange the way you want it, close Firefox and open again. Your bookmarks should all be there. The problem should be fixed. You should be a happy person! I hope so!

Let me know if this worked for you. It might help others to fix this annoying problem.

No comments:

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!