May 2, 2009

Old-Fashioned Raisin Cake

This is a totally delicious cake that my grandmother has made for as long as I can remember. Most people will say that her banana cake is their favorite but the raisin will always be my first choice!
So make it and enjoy!
Old-Fashioned Raisin Cake
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
1 (15-oz.) box raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. all-spice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. self-rising flour (approximately)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk, raisins (can use more than 1 box if you prefer more raisins in your cake), cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg and vanilla. Add flour until cake batter consistency is reached. Pour into 2 (9-inch) cake pans and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.

Carmel Icing
1 2/3 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter
Mix sugar and milk and cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken a little. Remove from heat. Beat until cooled a little. Stir in the vanilla and butter. Cool slightly and spread on cake.



(Use a lot of vanilla flavoring? Here's a recipe to make your own over on Chickens in the Road. Homemade Vanilla: The Big Bottle Method)

No comments:

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!