July 24, 2009

Jimson Weed

Hallucinogenic, poisonous and growing behind our barn! I had no idea what this was even though I have seen it in the fields here during the summer for as long as I can remember. I finally did a little digging on Google and found out that it is Jimson Weed. Now that I have taken pics of it, I think we'll chop it down. I wouldn't want any teenagers sneaking behind our barn to take hits off this "locoweed" or a barn full of delusional hallucinating goats and chickens! The blossom is a beautiful, trumpet-shaped white flower with a purple middle.




After blooming it produces these large green spiky pods. You never know what you'll find growing in your backyard! My husband also found passion fruit vines growing on our fence in two different places. They also have beautiful flowers. They are next on my list of things to take pics of.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

A shame that such a beautiful flower is poisononous! Darn! Great photos though. I love passion flower vine...looking forward to your pics of it! I'm jealous that you have it growing wild! :)

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

A shame you can't move it...it is soo pretty!

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

I told my husband last night that I was going to keep some seeds from the pods so I could sow a patch on the side of the barn where the animals can't get too!

Callie Brady said...

I have seen this flower growing wild in the woods where we used to live but never knew what it was or that it was dangerous. Beautiful photos. Thanks for the information!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i have some of that and cut one down the other day. pretty but dangerous stuff.

Jen said...

A tempting beauty.

Jen said...

Oh by the way--I can't find that book I told you about-Captain Underpants. :( Must have got donated or gone in a garage sale. sorry.

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

That's ok Jen. Thanks for looking for it.

Unknown said...

i actually grow this in my garden it doesn't open all the way until night usually so my son doesn't feel the urge to pick it . and i keep it at the back of my large selection of pots by my porch so he can't get to it. its got such lovely flowers too lots of poisonous plants do like monkshood and oleander. no luck growing monkshood in the south such a pity.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!