October 4, 2009

Suet Cakes

Where does the time go? I am so sorry that I haven't blogged in the last few days. Between my oldest being on Fall break, a goat getting mastitis and having to bottle feed one of the kids, work, 200 miles of yards sales Friday (which my sister and I just had to partake in of course) and the tech guy spending one of the days trying to finish getting my computer set up, it's been awhile!
Photobucket
The weather has changed very quickly here and we are heading straight into Fall with cool night and the leaves starting to change. I wanted to share this suet recipe with everyone. I love feeding my birds and try to keep a variety of things out for them especially during the colder months when food is so hard to find.

This recipe is nice because it can be used year-round. I have kept it out on the hottest days of the summer and it only softens up a bit, has never melted into a mess and never sours. I tried a fruit one a while back (not thinking about the warmer temps) and had a stinky mess by the next morning so I will be saving that one for winter!

This recipe is under the This and That section of my cookbook and I have received several compliments on it. I don't remember if I got this from a magazine or if it's one I mixed and threw together. I won't take credit for inventing it but I will take credit for sharing it!

The nuthatches and titmice LOVE this as well as the woodpeckers and chickadees.

Suet Cakes
1 c. lard
1 1/2 c. crunchy peanut butter
1/3 c. sugar
2 c. quick cook oats
2 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
1 c. mixed birdseed
1 c. cracked corn

Melt lard and peanut butter. Add sugar to the melted mix and stir well. Add oats, cornmeal, flour, birdseed and cracked corn. Mix well and pour into large cardboard orange juice cartons with the top cut off. Chill or freeze. Slice into blocks to fit into suet feeders. You can also stuff toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls for easy slicing to fit into the suet feeders with round 1-inch holes.

9 comments:

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

thank you so much for that recipe. i printed it right away. sound like you've been busy. hope your goats return to good sound health!

Carol Murdock said...

I'm going to try this! Thanks!

Carmen S. said...

Hi there, this sounds like alot of fun to try, thanks for sharing and your fudge below looks dee-licious:) Enjoy your day!

Elle Bee said...

This is great. Do you have any "birdseed cookie" recipes? I don't have a suet feeder, but would love to make something to hang in our tree. Guess I could google it! :o)
Elle

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Look what you did Elle! I now have a batch of birdseed cookies in the making. I'll let you know how they turn out (with pics of course!) My little one is having a blast making these!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to have found your blog this morning! I'm from Western Ky myself! I've lived up here with the Yankee's in Ohio for 5 years now! ;D

It will be nice to finally read a blog of someone in my home area and know some of the things that might be going on there!

Thanks for the recipe!

homesteader said...

thank you so much! I am going to make some of these for Christmas gifts!!

Angie said...

Hi, where do you get lard from?

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Angie, you can buy lard in any grocery stores around here. It's in the vegetable oil, cooking oil section in a white bucket. I also have a post on rendering your own lard if you have access to animal fat from a local butcher

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!