October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Pie

Photobucket
I made this pie from the pumpkin I was freezing a couple of days ago. I will be making more of these on Thanksgiving! They were so good!

I have to give credit where credit is due. After searching several pumpkin pie recipes I found this one from Paula Deen and once again she did not let me down. I've thrown in a few side notes of my own.


Pumpkin Pie
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 cups of canned pumpkin (but please buy a pumpkin and make your own - it's so easy and it will make you feel so domesticated - you can brag that you made it from scratch using your own pumpkin).
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten (thanks to my hens I've been freezing 3 to 4 eggs at a time in little freezer containers for the winter when they decide to be lazy)
1 cup half-and-half (I didn't have half-and half - so I used goat's milk - I love having fresh goat's milk)
1/2 stick melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger, optional
1 piece pre-made pie dough (I admit I used bought on this one but next time I promise to make my homemade crust).
Whipped cream for topping (We prefer Cool-Whip!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place 1 piece of pie dough down in 9-inch pie pan and press down along the bottom and all sides. Tug, pinch and crimp your edges to get a pretty pattern. You can put your pie shell back in the freezer for 1 hour to harden back up or I already had mine cold in the fridge so I went ahead and used it right then. I am trying to use the Paula Deen instructions because it's her pie but I always change a few things when I'm baking! Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans (I used a microwave safe saucer to sit down in the pie shell and it worked just fine.) Bake for 10 minutes, remove foil and whatever you used to weigh it down and bake for another 10 minutes. This keeps the crust from getting all soggy.

For your filling, in large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with yolks, half-and-half and melted butter and beat until combined. Then add vanilla, cinnamon and ginger and beat until well blended.

Pour the filling into the warm crust and bake for 50 minutes (took mine a little longer) or until center is set. Place the pie on cooling rack and cool to room temperature. (I like my pumpkin pie cold so I let it sit for awhile to cool some and then put in refrigerator to finish cooling). Cut and top each piece with a big ole dollop of whipped cream or Cool-Whip topping and ENJOY!


This recipe is long and I think that tends to scare people away when they see a long recipe but it really is easy and the end result is awesome. I have shortened it a bit in the printed version. If you have access to pumpkins, try the homemade! If not, I bet the canned version is awesome too!

Photobucket
Speaking of two....well I doubled, made two and sent one to my mom and dad...they loved it!
Thank goodness I got pics of then because they were gone...fast!

Photobucket
I love pretty pies all lined up on the counter cooling!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is the prettiest pumpkin pie I've ever seen. I wished I loved them, but I'm not a great fan, though my son is...so I may try this recipe for Thanksgiving.

I love all things Paula Deen! ;D

Andora said...

GOSH!!!that looks so good and so pretty...I don't like the store bought pumpkin pies but I do like the homemade ones...they really are different...

Carmen S. said...

That looks delicious! Your crust looks picture perfect too:)

Country Whispers said...

These look so good!
I grew sweet baby pumpkins this year and was going to use them for baking. However, I looked out the window the other day and found my kids and my dog playing puppy bowling with them. I went out to yell at them but had to laugh at watching the fun that they were having.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

This definitely sounds and (looks too!) like a fabulous pumpkin pie! I wish I had some right now! Going to try this one soon and with the fresh pumpkin! I make squash, I'm sure I can do pumpkin!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!