February 9, 2010

Cardinalfest 2010

SENDING OUT A BIG WELCOME TO ALL MY NEW FOLLOWERS!

I love to blog about Northern Cardinals, also called red birds and known to birders as the
Cardinalis cardinalis, because they are such beautiful birds!

I forgot to fill the feeders yesterday evening and we got about 4 inches of snow during the night. I went out this morning and filled them for my little feathered friends. By the time I made my rounds to all the feeders and got back inside, the cardinals had found the gazebo feeder out back. The deer broke the Plexiglas in this feeder pushing on it with their noses trying to get to the birdseed so now I use it as a platform feeder and the roof keeps my seeds dry.

I always have several cardinals at my feeders but this morning I got a special treat. I think they all showed up and brought their relatives!

Photobucket
I love that splash of red against the white snow!
Photobucket
I had them on the feeder....
Photobucket
and patiently waiting their turn in the trees.
Photobucket
They are so much more refined than those grackles, starlings and cowbirds who fight and push and shove and squawk at each other trying to get a bite of food!
Photobucket
Of course, this little guy doesn't care how many show up as long as they leave his feeder alone!
Photobucket
Don't forget to feed the birds! I'm making up a big batch of my suet this afternoon. All my homemade suet feeders are empty!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Simply Beautiful! Enjoy your morning watching them... I love feeding/watching the birds, I'm all out of sunflower seeds at the moment :(

Jessica said...

What a sight! I have only seen them in everyone else's photos, but I think they are beautiful birds.

Ruth Kenney said...

wow.... look at them all! awesome shots DB!

Sunny said...

I was going to blog about my birds this morning till I saw your awesome photos....lolol. My feeding station is in a group of trees. Maybe I need to get them out in the open? You sure have a lot of cardinals. I have 3 pairs I have seen all at once here. Thanks for sharing!

Shelley said...

Beautiful cardinal photos! One of my favorite birds! I wish I got half as many as you did! And that third photo looks like a painting!

Callie Brady said...

I love the photos! The cardinals add so much color to the winter scene. They look like they are decorating the tree.

I clicked on the photos to enlarge them. Did you know that the photos don't enlarge, but instead a photobucket page pops up?

Or maybe you set it up that way?

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Hi Callie. Yes, I resize all my pics. The smaller pics seem to keep people from claiming them as their own. I once had some of my photos show up on a page as downloadable desktop/webpage backgrounds. I might have been flattered if the person hadn't claimed them as their own and then required a link back to their site if used. If anyone wants to use my photos as backgrounds, for printing, etc. all they have to do is ask and a full size image can be emailed to them. It's sad that that it has to be this way.

Andora said...

I love the cardinals..we have quite a few to,and I have tried to capture them in a picture like you have done,but just haven't yet..your photos of them are absolutely beautiful....fantastic job...love it..

Julie Harward said...

That is the most beautiful thing ever! I have never seen one in real life..they are so beautiful! Come say hi :D

Janet, said...

I love your pictures. We have went through so many 50lb bags of seed this winter, it's not funny. I love taking pictures of the birds at our feeders, too.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!