June 8, 2009

Cherry Jam

What did I do with all those cherries my Dad picked for me while I was gone to Florida? Made jam of course!

The boys love this cherry jam on toast or peanut butter and jelly (technically it's PB & Jam but they don't care). I have a weakness for it on my moms homemade sour dough bread with way too much butter. I ended up with 14 pints before I ran out of Certo. I also froze several quarts for pies, cobblers and homemade ice cream...yummm!
Here's the recipe I use for making this jam (it's not in my cookbook but it will be in the next one!)
Cherry Jam
4 cups of cherries
7 cups sugar
1/2 T. butter or margarine (optional)
2 pouches of Certo

Wash, stem and pit your cherries. Place them in a food processor and liquify/pulse/chop until they are mostly liquid. You will need 4 cups of this. Place in a large saucepan, add sugar, mix well. Add butter (this prevents the white foamy stuff from forming on top of your jam.) Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 1 full minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in 2 pouches of Certo. Stir and skim off any floating fruit for 5 minutes. Pour into hot, sterilized jar. Wipe any drips from top edge of jars and top with hot lids and bands. Sit aside to let cool and seal.

If you have access to cherries, go for it!

7 comments:

Steph said...

Even though I really don't like cherries, that looks pretty good! I'll just stick to my strawberry jam. I love to eat jam on my grandmother's homemade sourdough bread too!

photoJanna said...

Beautiful photos,interesting blog....I know the new regions and new people. (Sorry for bad English ;o)

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Strawberry is my favorite too Steph but cherry is right up there at the top with it. I need to go pick strawberries at my mom, just haven't had a chance to yet. Maybe I'll cheat and buy them at the Amish so I don't have to pick them (or talk my Dad into doing it for me).

Welcome to my blog photoJanna! It's great to have you here. Don't worry about the bad English, I'm from Kentucky so I probably won't even notice!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of jam! Looks great.

-FringeGirl

Linda Stubbs said...

Your picture looks soooooo beautiful!!! I can't wait to try this recipe out. Two of our son's have cherry trees. We had to leave our cherry tree at our old farm. Cherry trees are on the list for our new farm!!!!!

Did you see the Lemon Verbena Bread over at my blog? If you need some leaves, I would love to send you some. It is a wonderful recipe.

Enjoy your day!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

you are so talented! allow me to show my ignorance, but what is certo? i bet your jam is wonderful. i need to try some.

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Certo is a liquid pectin made by Sure-Jell. I also use the powdered Sure-Jell from time to time when I can't find the liquid. Either will work, just follow the package instructions for whatever fruit you are using. It beats the heck out of cooking and stirring forever like people used to have to do to get their jellies and jams to set.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!