January 2, 2010

Mandarin Orange Cake

Christmas was great here with the kids! Santa was very generous this year. I even got another cast iron skillet but it's still going on! My mom had to have surgery on the 23rd and was in the hospital until the 26th so Christmas with my side of the family was postponed until last night and Joe's family will be coming in from Tennessee tomorrow so we still have 1 more gift opening to do!

Mom is recovering well and is feeling better than she has in a long time. I was thumbing through the cookbook looking for something to take to the dinner for dessert last night and saw the recipe for a Mandarin Orange Cake (better known as the "Pig-Lickin' Cake" to most people in this area). Thought I would share it with everyone.

Here's the one and only pic I got of it, and as you can see, the hounds got at it before I had a chance to take this one! Hounds meaning my brothers and brother-in-law!
Photobucket

Mandarin Orange Cake
1 box yellow butter cake mix
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (11 oz.) can manadarin oranges with juice
1 (9 oz.) container Cool-Whip
1 lg. box vanilla pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cake mix, mandarin oranges, eggs and oil. Beat 2 minutes on highest speed the reduce speed to lowest setting and and beat for 1 minute. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove layers and cool completely. Combine Cool Whip, dry pie filling and pineapple. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is to spreading consistency. Spread pineapple mixture between layers and on top and side of cake. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.

This cake is easy to make and delicious!!

14 comments:

Arlene said...

That looks so good!!! And to think I just started back on my "Do not eat everything" diet!!! LOL!! Happy New Year!!!

Andora said...

This is one of my most favorite cakes...My sis makes this a lot...sounds like you are having a wonderful time with all the Christmases..lol...Happy New Year!

Country Whispers said...

I've made this cake before and it is sooo good. I've never made it in layers though. I've always opted for the easy 9X13 and just spread the topping on the top.
Hope you are enjoying the New Year and still having fun celebrating Christmas with all of your family.

Julie Harward said...

I THINK I HAVE MADE THIS ONCE...AND IT IS GOOD! A LITTLE LIGHTER AND FRUITY..JUST WHAT I NEED AFTER ALL THE CHOCOLATE AT CHRISTMAS TIME! HAVE A GREAT 2010...COME SAY HI :D

Jamie Allen said...

My grandmother makes this and it will make you smack your momma! It is so good! thanks for posting.

Linda Stubbs said...

Oh num!!!!!! That is one beautiful cake. I have never seen one like that.

Hope all is well with you!
Blessings on the New Year ahead,
Linda
Prairie Flower

Rose said...

Oh yeh! This cake is Heaven on a plate!! I don't usually do it in layers either but it is good either way... Our church is doing a 21 day Daniel fast (mostly grains and fruits and veggies, things that grow) so bad timing for me to be thinking about this cake! Yikes! :-)

Janet, said...

that looks really delicious. I haven't made one of those yet, but I now have your recipe and my aunt's recipe for it, so I plan to try it one day.

Callie Brady said...

I used to make a cake something like this, but used an orange cake mix. This cake looks even better.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks amazing. I'm going to try it out! I hope your mom is doing well. Happy New Year.
-FringeGirl

Sandy said...

I have to make this delicious dessert just so I can tell people I made a pig lickin' cake. That's fun! BTW, I received my first cast iron for Christmas--a cornbread pan I am anxious to try out! From Sandra at wholesometalk.com

Shelley said...

I am craving this cake NOW!! Especially since I love pineapples and mandarin oranges. Hope your mom heals quickly!

Elle Bee said...

This looks really yummy! I love additions to box cake mixes. I will try this and let you know how it goes.
Thanks!

sheila @ Elements said...

Looks scrumptious!! I ain't never heard it called a pig lickin' cake though. LOL! :) That's too funny...especially since it was eaten up by hounds!! haha!! :)

Anyway, thanks for sharin' the recipe. I'll have to give it a try one day. Happy New Year from Sheila in Louisville. :)

ANNOUNCEMENTS

For those of you who are new followers/readers, don't forget to check out the forum and join in on our discussions there.

My Country Blog of This and That Forum

I love each and every comment my blogging friends leave for me!


All images and graphics on this page were made by me with the exception of that little rooster! He came from Beth Logan's Checkered Chickens at pccrafter.com. Photos were taken by me and graphics were created using Photoshop CS2.
If you see something you like please ask for permission before using it!
Thank you!